Total Pageviews

Monday, October 18, 2010

We Women

de bene esse: literally, of well-being, morally acceptable but subject to future validation or exception

General Medicine

We women ... are in many ways defined by our breasts. Women and their breasts are a life long relationship.  First we have none, then we grow some, no one knows when they will stop and what we'll end up with.  I was very lucky, mine came in and I was complimented ceaselessly all my young adult life for having "perfect" breasts.

Then we start getting older, and the next phase sets in.  Our breasts are assaulted with the bearing of babies and if not, age will get us.  And so my breasts have begun to change - I am not happy about it.  Compared to others I'm told I'm talking alot of BS since even with the beginning of the droop I'm far ahead.  My friends and I all share the same theme - commentary on our changing breasts.

The phase of mammograms begins.....a very uncomfortable experience!  And my theory today ... these mammograms are assisting in the undoing of our breasts!  They pull them, squash them, flatten them...WTH!

I wonder - how can a breast have any hope of surviving this in one piece?

And while I may be making fun of a serious issue, we women must schlep our breasts to the doc to check them out but isn't there a better way?  In the great tradition of general medicine they will likely say...nope.  We women will soldier on with our changing and aging breasts.

No comments: